I honestly don’t even know what to do with 2017. A lot of what made 2016 so great was my job. My company offered unlimited vacation and this made it possible for us to attend a lot of away shows. I could take Fridays off to trailer to far away shows and endurance rides. I also had basically no commute time which allowed me to ride a lot during the week. I absolutely loved my job, but the company went out of business and I’m now looking for a new job. Since I am hoping to enter a new field, I probably won’t be able to be as picky about where I work. With that in mind, I don’t know that it’s wise to make grand plans. I have no idea how much I’ll even be able to ride, let alone show. Because of this, my 2017 goals are a little more vague than 2016’s.
- Have a successful training period with Laura
- I’d like to try to lesson with Laura at least once a month during Nilla’s training
- Compete at BN (schooling shows only)
- Find a dressage saddle that actually fits Nilla
One of the things I’m really looking forward to is Nilla spending 3 months with Laura Hermanson. Laura did an amazing job with Nilla last time and I can’t wait to see how this turn goes.
- Stay sane and not be ruined by me or anyone else riding him
- Improve fitness enough to do an endurance ride
- Do some schooling shows to continue his exposure
I mostly just want to get through this year without going backwards with this horse. He’s already starting to get a bit stir crazy from not getting ridden much with the rain and I can see this getting worse as winter progresses. I’m hoping to have a leaser to get him out a bit more. Some ribbons would be a bonus.
Other Equestrian Goals
- Go horse camping as much as possible
- Meet more fellow bloggers
- Do more clinics or find a jumping/ XC trainer to work with
- Go to more new places (campgrounds, shows, parks)
- Continue to expand horizons and try something new (maybe WE or mounted archery)
- Have happy, healthy horses
I’ve really found that I like exploring and I want to get to as many new places as I can and try as many new things as I can. Working Equitation looks like so much fun. If I can find a local clinic, I’d love to try it. I’ve enjoyed the clinics I’ve attended and would like to do more. Meeting fellow bloggers has also been a lot of fun. If you’re local or visiting the Bay Area, hit me up.
Non Equestrian Goals
- Lose weight. I accomplished a little last year, but still need to do more.
- Find a new job.
- If I’m really lucky, find a new home.
One of our goals for 2018 is to move. Since we cannot afford to live here, we would ideally be looking at horse properties on the East Coast. It’s also possible that we could move to another part of California, though that’s not my ideal solution. I don’t know that we’ll make a final decision this year, but I hope to work on it.
What are your goals for 2017?