I’ve had one Kastel shirt for a while now. I really love it, so I wanted to have more than one. Because wearing the same shirt every time I ride would be gross and I don’t like wearing other shirts when it’s hot and sunny out because I’m incredibly inclined to sunburn even if I slather on sun-screen. Unfortunately I’m not really rich enough to afford a lot of $75-$100 shirts. And I wanted a lot of them.
Fortunately, there’s a sale on eBay right now for Kastel sun shirts. Check it out. All of the shirts are really cheap. To make it even better, some of them come with “FREE CHARLOTTE DRESS.” I didn’t know what this was, but figured worst case I’d just donate it. $30 plus $5 shipping for a Kastel shirt is great with or without a free dress.
I might have gone a little overboard:
- While wearing the dress, pin a half inch lower than where you want the shirt to end (you need room for the hem).
- Measure how far up this pin is from the original hem and then use that measurement to mark around the dress. Do at least 10 marks around.
- Cut the dress in a straight line along the marks.
- If you have a serger, use that. If not, your sewing machine should have an overcasting foot. Use either to overcast the cut edge.
- Then pin a half inch hem and sew the hem using thread that’s the same color as the shirt.