I bought a sheepskin seat saver for my endurance saddle. It was a little too small so I ended up cutting the elastic in the middle, adding a 4-5″ strip of elastic, and sewing it back together. It totally worked and I got the sheepskin onto the saddle. I can only hope my stitching holds up to the friction of riding.
I was inspired by Liz’s post on making her own stirrup turners to finally make my own. I actually bought the Cashel Stirrup turners’s last year before my Quicksilver ride, but never ended up using them as they weren’t wide enough for my stirrup bars. I then lost them and recently found them when cleaning out the old trailer to sell it. So I decided to repurpose the parts in making my own stirrup turners.
I didn’t have the tubular webbing that Liz used, but I did have a nylon lined stirrup leather that I had been using as a jumping neck strap. So I cut a strip of the leather, widened the stirrup holes with a drill, stuck the bolt through the hole, added the pipe, put the whole thing through the fender and then put the bolt through the next hole and screwed on the nut with an electric screwdriver.
I tried these on a really brief ride and they work great at turning the stirrups. I think they might rub mi ankle though so I am going to see if I can add some sheepskin. I also need to tape them in place as the cut stirrup leather is significantly narrower than my fenders so my stirrup bars are now too wide and slide across the turners. I hope it works though.
Stall Signs and Fly Bonnets
If you won a prize in my contest, don’t worry: I am actually working on them. It’s just a slow process as I have a few of other personal projects going on right now (like the sheepskin and fixing Nilla’s endurance bonnet. I did get one ear bonnet finished and mailed out. No pics though as I don’t want to ruin the surprise. I have started some stall signs as well. Here’s a sneak preview of one of them in progress (not finished).